Chile, Osorno Mission April 2010- November 2011

madi's talk

madi's talk
MADISON WILL BE GIVING HER HOMECOMING TALK ON SUNDAY OCTOBER 24 @1:00PM ................................................ AT 1410 EAST GENTILE STREET...............................................

Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Bring me the head of a pig!" ...and something swarthy..."

Wud up family?!
 
Wow, it sounds like you had a great week. Our week was pretty interesting as well...
 
It all started Tuesday morning the day before cambios...
 
There was an Elder in our District who, for some time now, has been waiting for a package from his family. So... the other Elders... being Elders... decided that it would be funny to give him a package. They brought the box to our final Zone meeting with a note "from the office" saying that the box that his package had origionally been in had ripped so they had put it in a new box... So... He opened the box right then and there at the urging of the Elders who hovered around him he hastily pulled back the cardboard flaps, anxious to see what delightful goodies his loving mother had prepared for him.
Standing at a distance, not able to see what was inside, the reaction from the Elders wasn't quite as I was expecting as I saw them burst out in a roar of disgust and back hurriedly away from the box. As I looked closer to see what all the fuss was about I quickly learned why. 
I gazed into the open box and saw, to my horror, the head of a pig... there was no goblet of something cool and refreshing as I know I could have used at this particular moment in time.
The randomness of this week (good or bad) didn't end there. We went by an investigators store to make some calls. We've taught him i think twice. I personally have never taught him because we were always on divisions when we had lessons with him and he can only have us over in the mornings because he works all day until late. But we always check up on him at work. this time when we went he told us  bunch of things that he had downloaded online: 25 Books by President Hinkley, other books by Bruce R. McKonkie, all of the primary songbook, all of the hymns of the church and LDS music that he could find in Spanish and also some of the Tabernacle Choir, the whole Book of Mormon in Audio... and much more. He put the whole Book of Mormon on his phone and listens to it at work and while he sleeps. (What the?!) He says he finds that he sleeps better to the Book of Mormon... OKay. That's cool! 
We also have an investigator names Rebeca who in two days read all the way to the book of Jarom and I'm sure by now has finished the Book of Mormon or is close. She says that she feels the biggest peace and joy when she reads the Book of Mormon and that she loves the stories and the words and testimonies of the Prophets. She's amazing.
Also, this week we showed up to a recent converts house and she had prepared a little treat for us... ¡Pusha la cuestión! She was so excited for us to try it but she didn't want to tell us what it was... ¡Shoooota! That can't be good... So we sit down and she puts this plate of something swarthy in front of us... (swarthy is our new favorite word that we learned looking up the name of this food and trying to figure out what it was.) It was a rubbery tube stuffed with something smooth and dark brownish-red... It looked pretty swarthy... the fork didn't penetrate the tube so I decided to just unstuff it and leave that part aside. Then as i put a bit of the stuffing in my mouth I felt sick as it just melted and trickled down my throat. I mixed it with bean salad and bread to have something solid go down with it. I was so happy to get through it. When we finally finished we got her to reluctantly tell us what it was... Prietas... We still didn't know what it was... but we had an idea after seeing it, tasting it, and hearing her little girls start to explain it as "una de estas cositas laaaaaargas..." ¡Pusha! We got hjome that night and looked it up in the dictionary but all it did was describe what it looked like and teach us the new word "swarthy." So when we talked to our district leader that night we asked him... he gasped and said "No, Hermana! ¿En serio?" Yes... Pig intestine stuffed with it's clotted blood... Swarthy! I think we met another part that used to be attatched to that pig's head.
Also, we met a girl this week from the UK. I loved her accent. It was the coolest thing ever. :) She doesn't speak spanish either. :) She was adorable! 
And that's all for now. This saturday is Independence Day. Yay! 18 de Septiembre! And I will be writing you again on Monday. The P-day got whitched this week because of el 18. But now it's back to normal. :) I love you guys! You are the best! 
 
¡Cuídense!
 
Con amor,
 
Madi
 
Ps- Don't eat anything swarthy!  

No comments:

VOTE-Where do you think Madi wil get called to serve?